ROOPA IN FLUX
An ensemble of musical wanderers venturing beyond the traditions that shaped them.
Roopa In Flux is an ensemble of musical wanderers venturing beyond the established traditions that shaped them. Led by versatile Indian classical vocalist Roopa Mahadevan, piano, violin, and percussion band together for a sound grounded in classical and jazz forms from around the world, using novel arrangements and improvisational spark to express a contemporary moment. The musicians use joy, camaraderie, honesty, and emotional intensity to create moments of soul and trigger new aural associations. Roopa In Flux has included world-renowned artists Guy Mintus, Anjna Swaminathan, Rohan Krishnamurthy, Karim Ellaboudi, Praveen Sparsh, Ravi G, Shreya Devnath, Arun Ramamurthy, Erika Oba, and Sruti Sarathy.
New York City
Carnatic, Indian Classical, Jazz, Improvised Music, R&B/Soul, Experimental
Deleuze, Joy, Dance, Social Justice, Gender & Race Theory, Comedy, Diaspora, Gods & Goddesses, Wails, Surrender, Community, Resilience, Concepts, Yogurt Rice, South India, Warm Beverages
"The musical ensemble, borrowed from jazz, classical and soul idioms, surprised and entertained with passionately crafted pieces."
- Saima Afreen, The New Indian Express
"The concert was exactly what the audience had expected - a standing ovation in the end made that clear."
- Papri Paul, The Times of India
"Singer Roopa Mahadevan – who may be the most electrifying voice in all of New York – worked her subtle side for all it was worth."
- New York Music Daily
• Six-city tour of India in Chennai, Delhi, Calcutta, Bombay, Hyderabad, and Bangalore
• Featured performance at Thresh Dance gala at DAG Modern and Brooklyn Raga Massive in New York City
• Headliner band at MusikFest festival in Pennsylvania
• Navatman's Drive East Festival at Z Space in San Francisco
CONTACT FOR BOOKINGS & PRESS
"Carnatic-inspired concert with pizzazz."
- Anjana Rajan, The Times of India